Updated March 13, 2020
Effective Immediately – no visitors allowed to enter community.
The Coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) is evolving quickly with new information. The CDC is monitoring the situation and working closely with federal, state and local health departments. Vitality Living is closely monitoring guidance and expectations set by state and federal officials. We realize this may cause further adjustments to our procedures outlined below. We remain 100% committed to limiting exposure to our residents, families and team members.
COVID-19 illness may be mild to severe. Symptoms may appear 2 to 14 days after exposure. Symptoms include fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath. Other symptoms include nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. Symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually.
As with influenza and other viral infections, older adults are at increased risk for severe illness. COVID-19 is spread by respiratory droplets from those who are in close contact with one another, about 6 feet. While there is not yet evidence for spread from surfaces or objects, this may also be a possible mechanism of transmission.
Vitality Living is continuing to follow infection control protocols and, per CMS restrictions outlined during the March 13th Presidential address, is suspending non-essential visitation. The strategy as outlined:
- Allowing only essential individuals, those providing needed essential care for our residents
- Essential individuals are screened via COVID-19 questionnaire.
- Individuals answering yes to any question are prohibited from entering community
- No one under the age of 18 may enter the community
- No outside pets allowed
- Frequent hand hygiene with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water, washing for at least 20 seconds.
- Frequent disinfecting of commonly touched environmental surfaces to decrease environmental contamination.
- Standard precautions, such as wearing masks, gloves and gowns as situations warrant their use.
Consistent with good routine practice, signs are posted at our communities refusing individuals with acute respiratory illness refrain from entering the community. In addition, those answering yes to any question on the required questionnaire or who have a fever of 98.9° and above will not be allowed to enter. This applies whether there is COVID-19 activity in the community or not. If there is a community-wide transmission of COVID-19, we will issue further communication.
The steps outlined above will stay in place until state and federal guidelines (CMS) lift restrictions. Vitality Living will continue to closely monitor this situation and adjust policies and practices as set by state and federal officials.
Thank you in advance for supporting our protocols in and assisting with keeping our residents, families, and team members safe.
President & CEO