If you are a senior, or the adult child of one, you may be thinking it is time to downsize. Many older adults find themselves living in just a few rooms of a large home they have lived in for decades. It’s usually expensive and time-consuming to maintain.
As you start to explore the options for this next chapter in life, you might wonder about the benefits of moving to a senior living community. Many families have only a vague understanding of what senior living communities are and what they have to offer.
From well-balanced meals to a rich variety of events and activities, let’s take a look at what the best senior living communities do to help residents age with success.
The Benefits of Finding a Quality Senior Living Community
- Care options that change with your needs: While an older adult might move to a senior living community when they are active and independent, a good community will offer more options for care as an elder’s needs change. Knowing they won’t have to move again, gives both the senior and their family peace of mind.
- Variety of events and activities: From computer classes to art workshops and movie nights, senior living communities offer a wide range of life-enrichment activities. Residents have an opportunity to meet new friends while engaging in hobbies they enjoy.
- On-site wellness programs: Quality-focused senior living communities place great importance on health and wellness activities. They offer fitness programs, like yoga practice, stretching classes, and cardio strength toning, several times each day. You’ll also find opportunities to nurture the spirit, such as meditation and gardening.
- Choice for dining: A good community recognizes how important it is for an older adult to be in charge of their day. That means they offer a variety of mealtimes and menu options. If a senior is headed out for some shopping, for example, they might want to opt for a quick bite instead of a sit-down meal.
- Maintenance-free living: If you or your loved one has been living in a private residence, you know all too well the burdens and expenses that come with home ownership. By moving to a senior living community, you leave the worries about finding contractors and repairmen behind. Every chore, including appliance repair, housekeeping, lawn care, and snow removal is taken care of for you.
- Transportation services: Another convenience offered by quality senior living communities is transportation. Most have regular transportation routes that include restaurants, shopping malls, pharmacies, and other requested stops. In addition, residents can usually schedule transportation for private appointments and outings.
- Beauty and barber shops: On-site salons are another feature of a good senior living community. These make it more convenient to get a haircut or a manicure.
If you are ready to start your search, download the Home Care vs Senior Living Guide. It can help you explore the ins and outs of your best fit.